Tuesday, August 2, 2011

From My Journal: August 2, 2011

I played a flash game today called "Learn to Fly 2." I launched a penguin into space, sent it hurtling through the atmosphere, and crashed it through an iceberg, a mountain, and into the hut of an obnoxious dodo ("Nature's Troll," apparently) living alone on the island of Mauritius. It was an addicting game, and clearly designed for me. It combined my love of penguins, earning money, and multi-tiered upgrade systems. Time you enjoyed wasting was not really wasted, right? Right...?
Trying to find the CJIS fingerprinting place was kind of a nightmare. Reisterstown Plaza is really ghetto, and as much as I dislike that term it is the most apt description. I came across a fairly well-dressed black woman who appeared to be in her 30's or 40's passed out on the sidewalk before a staircase. I paused, wondering if I should make sure she was alright, when I noticed an empty bag from Popeye's lying next to her. Then I figured she just had the "itis" and kept walking. I am excited about Public Allies because, whether I like it or not, it is already forcing me to step outside my comfort zone. I know I speak from a position of white middle class privilege, but...screw it. At least I'll be helping real people.
Inspiration is hard to come by these days, but I had an image in my head last night that I quickly latched onto. All ideas start as images. In this one, a solitary figure with a sword stands atop a huge train hurtling through an empty sea of grass. He lives on this train and is sworn to defend it. This world is not our own and is lost to history. A Dark Tower vibe, perhaps?
Lena came over last night. The way she brings out the goofy side of me, the side that is unconcerned with reality, is perhaps her greatest gift. I think love is when another person's very presence is enough to make you happy. Love is when being with that person feels more natural than being alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment